Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 6, 2022 at 5:46 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 6, 2022

Today’s reading and the discussion of restrictivism (exclusivism) and inclusivism are troubling for me for a couple of reasons. First, the idea that the door to God is “not open from our side at all. It is open only from God’s side” seems to go against our ability to choose and Jesus’s invitation in Revelation 3:20, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.” I think I understand what E. Stanley Jones means by God’s atonement, which we can only accomplish through Jesus and the cross, but that is finished, over and done. Our sin debt is paid in full once and for all time. Now Jesus stands at the door of our hearts and knocks, If we answer and open the door, He will come into our hearts and through the power of the Holy Spirit, He will transform us into Sons and Daughters of God.

I also read the article on restrictivism and inclusivism. As I have said before, I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about wether the unevangelized are going to hell. I leave that judgment up to God. I don’t believe these two positions are an either or proposition. I believe in the exclusivity of the Gospel message and the Kingdom way, which is narrow and few will find it. I also believe God makes provisions for those who have never heard Christ knocking at their door. That does not mean I believe in universalism or pluralism. I just believe and trust in God’s love, mercy, and prevenient Grace and that He desires that no one would be lost. What I try to focus on is being an agent and instrument of that wonderful Grace.