Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 9, 2022 at 6:53 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 9, 2022

I have nothing to add to JD’s closing argument. The statement that struck me was, “Only a bonded attachment with the living God creates the context of abundant grace and generous mercy that richly forms and nurtures all other relationships in life.” The first thing I thought of was, what is bonded attachment, so I googled it (looked it up). The first thing that popped up was the relationship between parents and their babies (https://www.babycenter.com/baby/behavior/what-is-the-difference-between-attachment-and-bonding_10401313). “Attachment and bonding are both ways to describe the feelings between you and your baby, but attachment has a broader meaning than bonding. Attachment is about both you and your baby. It’s about how you build a relationship over time that helps your baby feel secure, loved, and ready to face the world. Bonding is all about you. It’s about the surge of love and tenderness you feel for your baby.”

At first this seemed odd, but then I realized that it fits JD’s narrative regarding the essence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ perfectly. God is our Heavenly Father (parents). We are his children (babies). He created us and knit us together in our Mother’s womb. He is permanently bonded (joined) to us and He loves us unconditionally. Bonding is all about God.

Attachment is about both God and us. It is about the relationship we have and build with Him over time that results in feeling secure, loved, and ready to face the world. It prepares us for relationship with ourselves and others. Without bonded attachment to God, we are left with “deceptive and distorted images of God and ourselves, which leads to self-oriented and dysfunctional relationships with others.”