Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 17, 2022 at 5:56 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 17, 2022

If you been tracking my reflections on JD’s premise that bearing spiritual fruit is not about striving, it is about receiving, then you know that I view this process differently. My undergraduate degree is in Biology and I worked in Agriculture and Horticulture for many years. I am familiar with how the vine and branch work together in producing fruit. The Botany student got it right. The branches don’t suck the sap out of the vine, they receive the sap that flows from the vine to the branches, but that does not mean that they do not have a role to play in the process of bearing fruit.

If we want to get technical, the process of fruit bearing involves photosynthesis, the process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. I won’t try explain the details, but suffice it to say that it is an interdependent relationship. I know I am going to get some push back on this, but the vine can’t produce fruit without the branches and the branches can’t produce fruit without the vine. I am not trying to diminish the all powerful nature of God, but He has chosen us as His vessels and the instruments of His Grace.

In my view, Hule Goddard also got it right. The more we abide (remain attached) through the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines as a means to an end, not as an end in and of themselves, the more fruit we will produce. It is not a matter of striving, but actively remaining in the flow or in the zone. As I have said many times before this is a matter of both being and doing that requires our participation.