Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 26, 2022 at 7:02 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 26, 2022

The thing that rings true and resonates with me from today’s Holy Spirit story is our propensity to want to weed other people’s garden. Jesus taught us to not look at the speck in our brother’s eye and ignore the log in our own (Matthew 7:3). I am also very familiar with the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares (Matthew 13:24-30) and that Jesus said in verse thirty, “Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.”

It is not my place to judge or condemn others and God does not need my help in weeding His garden…..or does He? Jesus asked Peter three times, if he loved him. Peter responded three times, yes Lord. Jesus responded, feed and tend my sheep (John 21:15-17). I recently ran across a statement that has fanned my Holy discontent with just sitting idly by while someone else, especially a loved one, is headed down the wrong path. It says, “Never worry about who will be offended if you speak the Truth. Worry about who will be misled, deceived, and destroyed if you don’t.” I believe we have a responsibility to tell one another the Truth, but to do so in love, gently and with respect (Ephesians 4:15).

Jesus instructs us in Matthew 18:15-17 how to do this, but I have not found that to be an effective approach. Confrontation or debating the Truth with someone has not worked well for me and it usually results in a broken relationship. This has led me to say, I would rather have a relationship with someone than to be right. I have also yielded to the “Heart Principle” of even if we disagree, I won’t try to make you wrong. I believe both of these statements to be a cop out and it is the source of much of my Holy Discontent in today’s progressive Christian culture. How do I more effectively tell others the Truth in love, gently and with respect, and save them from being misled, deceived, and destroyed? I welcome your thoughts, but please spare me any religious platitudes. I am seeking tried and proven approaches that result in real life change and repentance.