Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 1, 2022 at 6:53 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, December 1, 2022

I have Not “been quietly (or blatantly) tracking the days till the end of the year, longing for the relief of a clean slate in a new calendar year,” and I Do not feel like I am “dragging myself to that finish line.” In fact, I lament over how fast the days go by and I am concerned about not wasting the time that I have. You never get to step in the River of Life in the same place twice. Each day is a new beginning. So, I try to live my life as If each day we’re my last and I see each day as a new opportunity. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not mine to hold, all I have is today. My motto, has always been, Carpe Diem, seize the day!

What I am trying to focus on today is Advent (the coming/birth of Christ). Last Sunday was the 1st Sunday of Advent. In traditional churches, we use the Advent Wreath to help us prepare for and anticipate the coming of Christ. I am sharing this with you in case you have never celebrated The Advent Season Liturgy and also to prepare myself to lead my family in our traditional lighting of the candles on the Advent Christmas Reef at our Family Christmas celebrations.

This tradition varies widely, but most Protestant churches use four candles arranged in a circular reef with a fifth candle in the middle. Three candles are purple, one is pink and the fifth is white. The symbolism of each candle also varies, but I prefer the tradition where each Sunday of the Advent season and each candle represents one of the four virtues Jesus’ birth brings us: Hope, Love, Joy and Peace. Others consider the lighting of the first candle to symbolize expectation, while the second symbolizes hope, the third joy and the fourth purity. The fifth candle, which is in the middle, is the Christ Candle. It reminds us of the centrality and sovereignty of Christ and we light it on Christmas Day.

The colors of the candles is also symbolic. Purple has traditionally been the central color of Advent. This color signifies repentance and fasting. Purple is also the liturgical color for Lent, which likewise incorporates a time of contemplation, repentance, and spiritual preparation. Pink is the color of Advent used during the third Sunday of Advent. Pink represents joy or triumph and this candle exhibits a transition in the season of Advent away from repentance and to a celebration. White is the Advent candle color symbolizing purity, light, restoration, and holiness. White is also a representation of the victory we have in Jesus. I pray this will help you focus on the reason for the season.