Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 28, 2022 at 6:44 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, December 28, 2022

I don’t know about ghosts and monsters or Halloween being tied to Christmas, and don’t even get me started on pagan practices that have been incorporated into our modern day church practices (see Pagan Christianity: exploring the roots of our Church Practices by Frank Viola and George Barna). Christianity was born into a pagan culture and still exists as the only restrainer in the pagan culture of our world, which has now even glorified ancient pagan practices like infanticide.

Our battle is to keep these pagan practices from seeping into our lives and our church practices. We need to sweep the leaven out of our lives and our houses of worship on a regular basis (1 Corinthians 5). Unfortunately, that is easier said than done.

This is why it is so important to “put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.” I find it interesting that our author chose this text from Paul’s letter to the Roman church to make his point that, “Christmas calls us away from our preoccupations and toward the resistance of life against sin, death, and the devil. Christmas is a declaration that God is harrowing hell.”

The context of Romans 13 is being subject to governing authorities. We are admonished to not fear authority, but to do good (verse 3). In other words, don’t worry about the pagan culture or their practices just do what is good. The remainder of the chapter, especially the closing verses define what that looks like “Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts” (Romans 13:13-14).

The take away for me is to put on the Lord Jesus Christ and use the armor of light, “which is the Spirit of God and the Word of God,” to combat the pagan and evil culture that we coexist with. To not lean on my own understanding or trust in our traditions and innovations that in many cases have denigrated the Spirit and the Word. I fear God only and I trust in Jesus alone. Does any of this make sense to you?