Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 29, 2022 at 5:58 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, December 29, 2022

I almost shared this a couple of days ago when we discussed the idea that Jesus is both the son of man and the son of God. I believe we can become like Him and be both human and divine. We can become “God like” for the sake of others. This process of sanctification begins when we are saved and re-born spiritually. It continues until we die and are resurrected with Christ. When “this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “Death is swallowed up in victory” (1 Corinthians 15:54, NASB).

I don’t think any of us have been fully awakened to our new nature and potential as sons and daughters of God. We have not fully emptied ourselves as Christ did (Philippians 2:7). If we had there would be no sin and division among us.

The author’s last question is an important and challenging one: “What do you consider to be more pressing in our moment in church history—an honest, joyful appreciation of our participation in the divine nature, or an acknowledgement of our ongoing depravity? Which one rings more true, good, and beautiful?” I have a tendency to focus on the on-going depravity among in myself and others rather than participation in the divine nature in all of us. For me, the question that begs for an answer in our moment in history is what does it mean to “participate in our divine nature.”

Some in the church (Methodist) think that means “open minds, open doors, and open hearts.” They believe it means full acceptance and tolerance of others even if it means ignoring or amending the Word of God. Going back to the White Elephant or Dirty Santa gift giving game example at Christmastime, I think it means being “the person who carefully observes the twinkle in people’s eyes in order to do her best to ensure she doesn’t interfere with someone else’s hoped-for gift.” It means to do what Christ did. He always looked for the divine potential in everyone, but He never compromised the Word of God. He was full of both Grace and Truth (John 1:14). Lord, let it be so with me!