Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 30, 2022 at 8:45 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, December 30, 2022

These Advent readings have become a bit redundant for me. We seem to be revisiting already plowed ground, so I struggled a bit this morning to gain any new insight or direction for moving past Advent into a new year and looking forward to the Christian season of Lent and Easter. However, the author’s statement that the “Christian faith isn’t utilitarian. But loving God does set the whole of us, and his world, in order. We love God for God’s sake, and in the process we get the world thrown in” did grab my attention. His questions regarding order and focus caused me to reflect and examen my discipleship, my household, and my world.

There is no doubt that knowing God as King (Savior and Lord) has brought everything else into sharper focus for me. I have a Biblical World View and it is the only lens that I use to see more clearly and bring all things into proper order: God, Kingdom, Family, Church, Work, and Community. The thing that causes me pause is the question of do I have a testimony of this bringing order to my house or my world. In many ways, it has brought division, disorder, dysfunction, a lack of harmony. Everyone in my family and everything in my world is not in line with God’s Will and His order of things.

This is the cause of considerable frustration and discontent in my life. Is this because of some failure on my part, as a Disciple of Christ, the oldest living patriarch and the “spiritual” leader of my family? I can’t understand why others, even other “Christ Followers,” don’t view things the same way I do. At Christmas, we focus on peace and goodwill to all men, but that is not my reality.

This caused me to remember what Jesus said about the cost of Discipleship in Matthew 10, especially verse 34 where He says, “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword” (NASB). The Sword of Christ is the Word of God and it separates and divides. My question for myself, as we approach the New Year, is how do I deal with this division? How do I deal with family members that are not living in the Will of God and according to His word? How do I live in a country and a world that does not honor God as King? This may sound like dwelling in darkness and despair and maybe it is, but I welcome your attempts to prove me wrong or offer another perspective, but please spare me any religious platitudes.