Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 31, 2022 at 6:39 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, December 31, 2022

No offense to Andrew, but I don’t see how he gets boredom out of today’s text. The context of the “Dinner Parable” in Luke 14 is Jesus’s teaching on healing/ministering to the needs of others on the Sabbath and the importance of humility, “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11, NASB).

Our text is also preceded by a lesson in not just reaching out to our brothers, our friends and neighbors, and those who can repay us, but to “the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind,” those who can not repay us, for our reward is in the resurrection (14:12-15). Our tendency to flock together with friends and family, and only associate with other Christians is a detriment to our fulfilling our purpose in Christ.

Our text, the Dinner Parable (Luke 14:16-23) focuses on not missing Jesus’s invitation to “dine” with Him. Not because you are bored, but because you are preoccupied with other less important things. The message that I get from this text is that if you let other things distract you from the main thing, abiding/remaining in Christ, you will miss a blessing and He will give your blessing to someone else. Jesus continues to teach on the “Cost of Discipleship” in verses 25-35 in terms of our relationships and possessions. Both must be subservient to serving Him. Discipleship is costly and it is an all or nothing proposition.

Finally, I don’t have a problem with leisure or attending to the important and pressing matters of life, but not at the expense of the most important thing, the one thing that is necessary, the good thing that can not be taken away from you, Jesus Christ and His Word (Luke 10:40-42). I join with the author in saying, Remain in Christ and His Words, and you will truly be His Disciples, you will know the truth and what is really important, and the truth will set you free (John 8:31-32).