Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 8, 2023 at 6:28 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, January 8, 2023

The statement in today’s reading that jumped out at me was that “Ninety-five percent of delinquent children come from broken homes—they don’t belong.” That got me to thinking about the percent of broken homes among Christians. I did some quick googling and the research is all over the place. For example, some say the rate of divorce, a leading cause of broken homes, is higher among Christians, however, some say it is actually lower among active committed Christians. A study by George Barna and Harvard-trained social researcher and author Shaunti Feldhahn, who wroteThe Good News About Marriage, found that “for those who were active in their church, the divorce rate was 27 to 50 percent lower than for non-churchgoers. Nominal Christians—those who simply call themselves “Christians” but do not actively engage with the faith—are actually 20 percent more likely than the general population to get divorced” (gotquestions.org).

Two things jump out at me. First, as E.Stanley Jones observes broken homes are a major factor in both juvenile delinquency and adult crime in America. Secondly, the real issue is not broken homes, it is homes that don’t belong to Christ. They are not active in their faith. They are nominal Christians. Research varies on the percent of Christians that are nominal, but most agree it is large and increasing. This should be a major ministry concern for the Church, but unfortunately the church in general has become more secular and has caved into the prevailing culture. For me the question is how can we reach both the non-believer and the nominal Christian for Christ? In my view, both groups need to hear about the Truth and Way in Jesus Christ.