Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 12, 2023 at 6:36 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, January 12, 2022

There is a lot in today’s reading that I could comment on. Yesterday, my dear Bride reminded me to not skip over the Prayer of Consecration. It is really a good prayer worthy of memorizing and “rememorizing” it often. So let it be written, so let it be done: Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you. Jesus, I belong to you; I lift up my heart to you; I set my mind on you; I fix my eyes on you; and I offer my body as a living sacrifice to you. Jesus, I belong to you!

The other thing that really struck me was JD’s statements, “It doesn’t take a priest or pastor to do the essential work of the kingdom. Last time I checked, the New Testament describes us as a kingdom of priests, one to another and unto the whole world” and “We love our pastors and priests and vocational ministry leaders, but let’s be clear: The church is a lay movement.”

The Church has always been a lay movement started by ordinary people like Simeon. Most of them were fisherman, which really resonates with me. The Laos are the people of God. Clergy and Staff are a man made division in the people of God. We are all just laity in my view. We all need to wake up and pay attention to the Holy Spirit who is “always actively prompting us to go where Jesus is going and to say what Jesus is saying and to do what Jesus is doing.” We don’t need to sit back and wait on our leaders to tell us what to do or even worse just watch and cheer them on as they worship and minister. We need to be true partners in ministry.

A note of caution: I am not bashing church leadership. Nor am I suggesting everyone just do what is right in their own sight. I spent a great deal of my life as a lay leader trying to build leadership capacity and unity of purpose in local churches. What I am trying to say is we need to figure out what it means to be true partners in ministry.