Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 19, 2023 at 6:35 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, January 19, 2023

“The miracle of the baptism of Jesus is how he transforms John’s ritual baptism of repentance into a relational baptism of complete affirmation, acceptance, and unconditional love.” I love JD’s description of Jesus’s baptism and the fact that “God the Father gives Jesus the performance evaluation before the job even begins.” That is the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are forgiven; we have received an A for the course before we even attend the first class; we have a new identity in Christ; we are a child of God; a beloved son/daughter in whom He is well pleased. “It is the death of the striving life and the birth of the surrendered life; the beginning of the awakened life.”

I love this awesome message of God’s Grace, but Jesus didn’t stop there. He went own to resist and rebuke the temptations of Satan and He went on to do God’s Will. In my view, Jesus’s baptism does not remove or replace repentance and belief that results in righteous behavior. If you read a little further in Mark’s account you will find these words of Jesus, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel” (Mark 1:15). Jesus preached repentance and belief in the Gospel. I believe the awakened life is still a life of repentance, belief, and doing.

I don’t say all this to be a spoiler, but to warn against stopping at your baptism into the Kingdom (the First Part of the Gospel) and never moving into sanctification, consecration, and doing the Will of God (the Second Part of the Gospel). Yes, we have been freed from the wages of sin, but that does not mean we can keep on sinning. We still must confess, repent and believe that God will cleanse us of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). We still must do the Will of God. Lord, let it be so with me!