Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 20, 2023 at 6:56 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, January 20, 2023

The thing that struck me the most in today’s text was not the turning of the water into a lot of fine wine (I know that surprises some of you) or even the marriage feast for that matter. It was Mary’s command to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it” (John 2:5). We hear this again in Luke 9:35, when Jesus is on the mountain of transfiguration with James, Peter, and John, “This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!” The take away, for me is to listen to Jesus, no one else, and to do whatever He tells me to do. This is hard to do when we live in a world where there are so many other voices.

This brings me to the issue of marriage and the “wicked problem of divorce.” In my view, Jesus spoke very plainly on the issue of divorce (see Matthew 19:3-12). He is plainly opposed to divorce for any reason other than immorality and considers it to be against God’s Will for a man and a woman. Yet, our society and the modern church have accepted it as common practice.

I agree with JD, “It is time for an awakening to the deep mystery and miracle of marriage. It is time we develop a whole new approach, getting beyond the obligatory sessions of pre-marital counseling and into a multi-year season of post-wedding training.“ I also believe that we still need to train our youth on how a wedding becomes a Godly marriage and what it means to become one flesh before they consider marrying someone. We don’t need marriage enhancement classes we need marriage commitment classes.