Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 31, 2023 at 6:34 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, January 31, 2023

The familiar themes are here in JD’s reflection on today’s text: “Jesus is not a Sunday God. He is the Lord of every single day…With Jesus, there is no sacred and secular divide. It all matters deeply because it’s all deeply holy.” What I haven’t fully considered or appreciated before is JD’s “epiphany” that Jesus knows my job better than me! Jesus was a carpenter from Nazareth, what could he possibly know about fishing – you guessed it, everything because He is Lord of All (Acts 10:36).

I think what we sometimes miss in this passage is our real job. Most of us think of our job as what we do for a living. What we get paid to do. The epiphany for me is that my real job is a “fisher of men.” I am a Disciple who is commissioned by Jesus to make Disciples. Discipleship is a 24/7 costly occupation compared to our work and Jesus knows more about it than we do. That is why we should have the same attitude as Peter, “But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” Lord, let it be so with me.

JD’s footnote for preachers is worthy of note. You may get paid to preach, but your real job is still Making Disciples the way Jesus did, relationally. My question for all the paid pastors and staff is, who are your James, Peter, and John? How much time are you spending in the Synagogue versus on the sea shore with your people?