- Small groups (each week includes a group discussion guide; DVD sold separately)
- Groups looking to be challenged to understand the Bible in fresh ways
- Wednesday night studies and/or Sunday school classes requiring approximately 90-minutes of meeting time
- Anyone wanting to experience the Psalms with fresh connections to contemporary worship and devotional practices
In these pages you’ll learn:
- What the Book of Psalms is (the hymnbook of ancient Israel)
- How it was utilized in Israelite worship (the various “forms” of the Psalms)
- Why the Book of Psalms remains critical to our devotional lives today
About the Study
Sandra Richter brings our ancestors in the faith to the table where we learn from them in a cross-cultural experience bridging historical and modern day life. This eight-session study of the Book of Psalms masterfully mixes scholarly and practical teaching through the most-known wisdom Book of the Bible.
The key messages of this study include: what the Book of Psalms is (the hymnbook of ancient Israel), how it was utilized in Israelite worship (the various “forms” of the Psalms), and why the Book of Psalms remains critical to our devotional lives today. Sandra also dives into the concrete realities of Israelite worship (the tabernacle, temple, priesthood, and sacrifice) as well as Israel’s theology of worship wrapped up in their theocratic world view.
Experience the Psalms with fresh connections to contemporary worship and devotional practices. Indulge in the biblical study of the Psalms from a scholar and former pastor. Letting Sandra do the “heavy lifting” of research and translation allows you to experience the Bible in a deeply sensitive way, answering the evergreen question, “so what does this have to do with me today?”
How does this series work? The study involves two components. The first is a set of eight filmed, approximately half hour, sessions with Dr. Sandra Richter (available as a DVD), and the second is a study guide for each of your group members. The idea is that each member will be working at home at their own pace, doing as much or as little as schedules permit. Once per week your group will gather to view the filmed study, talk about the individual work from the week, and focus on some group discussion questions. Let the adventure begin!
Lesson 1 Preview
About the Author
Sandra Richter is the Robert H. Gundry Chair of Biblical Studies at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California. She served as a Professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College for the past four years teaching Hebrew language, exegesis, cultural contexts, and Environmentalism and the Evangelical. She received her MA from Gordon-Conwell and her Ph.D. from Harvard University’s Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations department. She is deeply invested in bringing the real people and real places of the Old Testament to life for both the academic and the lay person. For more than a decade she directed an Israel Studies program for Asbury Theological and Wesley Biblical Seminaries.
- Length: 8 weeks
- Page count: 228
- DVD accompaniment: Highly encouraged — 8, 25-35 minute sessions
You May Also Like
- The Epic of Eden Video Bible Study by Sandra Richter
- The Epic of Eden: Isaiah by Sandra Richter
- The Epic of Eden: Ruth by Sandra Richter
- The Epic of Eden: Jonah by Sandra Richter
- OneBook: Invitation by Brian Russell