- Christians embarrassed or ashamed of being in a spiritual slump
- Church leaders needing a guide or content to lead congregants through spiritual depression
- Anyone who yearns to be awakened to God’s love for them
- Focused group trainings around spiritual slumps (videos sold separately)
In these pages you’ll:
- Realize that God’s love for you is not contingent upon your spiritual condition
- Overcome shame and stigma by discovering that many Christians experience times of spiritual apathy
- Be encouraged to disclose your slump to people who can support you
- Have language and tools not only to help you but to assist others in overcoming the spiritual slump
About the Study
Every follower of Christ will feel stuck at some point. Most of us are likely heading into, going through, or coming out of a spiritual slump. We will endure several seasons of aridity in our lifetime. These are challenging times when the Christian’s appetite to be with God through prayer and scripture, and to live for God through trust and obedience diminish like air slowly leaking from a tire. Danger abounds. You are vulnerable to old temptations you thought were in the rearview mirror and new ones that pop up like moles you’re not fast enough to whack!
You are not alone, even though few have the language or the courage to talk about their struggle. You are not stuck, even though you feel neck deep in mud. There is a way out of the staleness, the stagnancy, the slump! God has given us tools for overcoming the slump that can make our lives more vibrant and meaningful than before we even got stuck.
A spiritual slump can deepen not destroy us, if we grab onto the rope of God’s grace and hold on for dear life. It has been said, “the same sun that melts the wax also hardens the clay.” Exploring the life of the Bible’s King David, this book presents a process for overcoming the slump so we reach our potential for a faithful, fruitful, and fulfilled life in Christ.
Preview the first week of content here.
Sample Video Session
About the Author
Lenny Luchetti is known as an insightful professor with a pastor’s heart. He brings more than twenty-five years of ministry experience to his present role as professor of proclamation and Christian ministries at Wesley Seminary of Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Indiana. Before joining the faculty, Lenny served as lead pastor of a small church that had a significant turnaround and grew into a large multi-ethnic, economically diverse, and community-impacting church during his tenure. Lenny is the author of several books including Preaching with Empathy, Preaching Essentials, and True Depth: Moving Beyond Cultural Churchianity. His passion these days is to help disciples, including pastors, out of the spiritual slump. Lenny is married to Amy, his partner in ministry. They enjoy life and laughter with their teenage kids, Zach, Lia, and Sam. His hobbies include fly-fishing and running.
- Length: 5 chapters/sessions
- Page count: 125 pages
- Video accompaniment: Optional but encouraged
You May Also Like
- Discipleship Bands: A Practical Guide by Mark Benjamin and J.D. Walt
- The Awakened Life by J.D. Walt
- Perfect Love by Kevin Watson
*Church leaders interested in a free preview copy for possible congregational use can email farmteam(at)seedbed.com.