For over 30 years, Bristol House has been training future United Methodists! Updated to correlate with the 2008 Book of Discipline Membership Vows, our material is thorougly biblical and solidly Wesleyan in the United Methodist tradition.
Confirmation classes provide a great opportunity to give Youth and Young Adults a broad view of basic Christian beliefs including the characteristics of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit; the importance and nature of the Bible; the need to trust in Jesus Christ for salvation; and the signficance of the church.
We Believe Teacher includes these topics as well as general church history and the responsibilties of discipleship and church membership. It offers your students a basic but thorough understanding of what it means to be a Christian in the United Methodist tradition. Most important, it stresses the importance of having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and gives students the opportunity to make that decision, if he/she is at that point.
Each lesson has three parts: Experience, Content & Discussion and Life Application. However, there is additional material for mentors, program ideas, suggestions for music and ideas for expanding or contracting the 13-week study.
The teaching material offers additional ideas to lengthen the time frame of the course by breaking some lessons into two sessions. Many teachers appreciate the helpful appendixes including a glossory of terms; church organization; discussion of controversial and confusing aspects of the UMC; a loving Christian response to Islam.
We Believe Student was designed for confirmation, but it may be slightly modified to be used as a 13-week basic United Methodist belief study.
- Let’s Get Started: Introductory material
- We are the Church: What and who are the church?
- The Book of Books: Introduction to the Bible and how to use it
- God, the Father: The first person of the Trinity, attributes of God, the 10 Commandments
- God, the Son: Summary of the life, death and resurrection of Christ
- God, the Holy Spirit: Who is the Holy Spirit and how does He work in our lives? The gifts of the Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit.
- God’s Church Grows: General church, history and Methodist history
- We Worship God: Elements of congregational worship (preaching, music, creeds, etc. and what happens to us as we worship).
- The Church Celebrates: The sacraments: Baptism and Holy Communion.
- God’s Plan for our World: Sin and redemption
- Faithful Disciples: Prayers, presence, gifts and service to the church.
- We Live the Christian Life: Spiritual disciplines and decision making.
- Are You a Christian? How to make a decision for Christ.
United Methodist confirmation materials that are evangelical and Wesleyan.