About the Hymnal
The myriad of church traditions that emerged from the ministry of John and Charles Wesley share a distinctive canon of Christian worship across the full scope of the Wesleyan movements that include millions of believers around the world. Selections for this hymnal were garnered from a thorough review of the previous denominational hymnals, which provided a core base of hymns that unite us across the various expressions under the Wesleyan umbrella. In addition, many distinct hymns were submitted by consultants in the United Methodist, Free Methodist, Global Methodist, Wesleyan, Nazarene, AME, AMEZ, CME, Church of God in Christ, Church of God Anderson, Church of God Cleveland, Salvation Army, Christian and Missionary Alliance and Anglican churches, enabling this hymnal to contain a comprehensive pan-Wesleyan harmony of worship.
Spanning back to the early centuries of the Christian church as the foundation, and incorporating contemporary hymns of the present day, the further beauty of this collection lies in the rich intersection of hymnody from all of these diverse traditions to provide a unity of shared worship. This hymnal bears witness to the essential themes of holiness and sanctifying grace that have been gifts of the Wesleyan movement, and which John Wesley referred to as the “Grand Depositum” for which the people called Methodist were chiefly raised up.
Perhaps the most visible and practical feature of this hymnal is that the grand story of the gospel as summarized in the Apostles’ Creed provides the structure wherein all of the hymns find their place. Because the Apostles’ Creed is the unifying foundation for all true expression of Christian faith, the broad spectrum of diverse hymns contained here all spring forth from these central tenets. This shared foundation and catechetical nature of the creed makes Our Great Redeemer’s Praise a true treasure for all branches of the Christian church to embrace.
Contains 675 hymns including:
- Hymns for the entire church year
- A rich treasury of hymns by Charles and John Wesley
- Wesleyan themes of prevenient, justifying, and sanctifying grace
- Classic favorite hymns and contemporary selections across the breadth of church history
Liturgical elements include:
- Baptism and Holy Communion liturgies
- Service music for various occasions
- A rich collection of creeds, prayers, and benedictions
- A selection of metrical psalter hymns
- Hymns organized around the twelve articles of the Apostles’ Creed
Wesleyan worship traditions incorporated in the collection:
The Wesleyan Church, Church of the Nazarene, The United Methodist Church, AME, AMEZ, CME, Church of God in Christ, Free Methodist Church, Global Methodist, Church of God-Cleveland, Church of God-Anderson, the Salvation Army, Christian and Missionary Alliance, Anglican.
- An accompanist edition consisting of two volumes with enlarged pages (7 1/2″ x 10 1/2″) and wire-o binding. This two-volume set which will have a navy blue thick laminate cover which matches the stamping on the pew edition and will retail for $99.95. Order the accompanist edition.
- A large print edition exactly mirrors the content of the pew hymnal, only with a larger page layout that makes the hymns much bolder and visible to users Order the large print edition.
- Powerpoint files for every hymn in the Our Great Redeemer’s Praise collection are available through DigitalSongsandHymns.com. The Public Domain Collection of 494 songs is available – for a limited time – at more than a 66% discount. Licensed songs can be purchased individually.
- Promotional tools for a local church sponsorship campaign