- Pastors leading communities
- Small groups and Bible study groups (video companion and study guide recommended)
- Individuals seeking tools for cultural engagement
In these pages you will:
- Understand why our bodies matter on a host of issues
- Discover a positive vision for human sexuality
- Be equipped to engage culture from a positive posture
About the Book
The human body is an amazing gift, yet today, many people downplay its importance and fail to understand what Christianity teaches about our bodies and their God-given purposes. We misunderstand how the body was designed, its role in relating to others, and lack awareness of the dangers of objectifying the body, divorcing it from its intended purpose.
In For the Body, author Timothy Tennent looks at what it means to be created in the image of God and how our bodies serve as icons that illuminate God’s purposes. Tennent examines topics like marriage, family, singleness, and friendship, and he looks at how the human body has been objectified in art and media today. He also offers a framework for discipling people today in a Christian theology of the body.
Tennent explores the contours of a robust Christian vision of the body and human sexuality and the variety of different ways we are called into relationships with others. This book is a call to a deeper understanding of our body and an invitation to recapture the wonder of this amazing gift. It is a theological vision that informs our self-understanding, how we treat others, and how we engage today’s controversial and difficult discussions on human sexuality with grace, wisdom, and confidence.
About the Video Study
For the Body Video Study Guide examines God’s design and purpose for the human body in eight sessions, promoting the wonder of our bodies serving as physical pointers to deeper spiritual realities.
This easy-to-follow companion guide will showcase the seven building blocks of a positive vision for the body, as well as what the Bible has to say about sexuality. Discussion questions will foster dialogue for how we can practically live as disciples while still maintaining our biblical and Christian distinctiveness.
Learn how a biblical view of the human body can help heal a host of cultural dilemmas facing us today through this study guide and accompanying videos by Timothy C. Tennent. While a helpful supplement, the hardcover book is not required for a successful video study with a group.
Session One: Our Bodies Are Speaking to Us
Session Two: Marriage Points to Spiritual Mysteries
Session Three: Children as a Reflection of the Trinity
Session Four: Singleness, Celibacy, and Same-Sex Friendships
Session Five: Our Sacramental Presence in the World
Session Six: Our Bodies in Art and Media
Session Seven: The Bible and Homosexuality
Session Eight: A Way Forward
Preview the study guide here.
About the Author
Dr. Timothy C. Tennent is the president of Asbury Theological Seminary with over 1,700 students on four campuses located in Wilmore, Kentucky; Orlando, Florida; Memphis, Tennessee and Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Pages: 272 pages (hardcover book) // 55 pages (softcover study guide)
- Trim size: 5.5×8.5, hardcover
- DVD accompaniment: Highly recommended for groups, eight sessions.
- Video study guide: Yes, one per participant
You May Also Enjoy
- Thirty Questions: A Short Catechism by Timothy Tennent
- The Call to Holiness by Timothy Tennent
- The Fulfillment: Jesus and the Old Testament by Timothy Tennent