- Small groups (each week includes a group discussion guide; DVD sold separately)
- Anyone that struggles to see the Old Testament’s relevance to the big story of Scripture
- Groups looking to be challenged to understand the story of Jonah in ways they haven’t before
- Wednesday night studies and/or Sunday school classes
In these pages you’ll:
- Engaging teaching that explores the context in which the book of Jonah was written and connects it to the big story of the Bible
- Discover how the story of Jonah is still speaking to us today
About the Study
When most people think about the book of Jonah, they think about a children’s story. Others think about a story they—ve heard so many times there could not possibly be anything new to learn from it. Well strap in, because this study is designed to prove all those assumptions wrong!
In the book of Jonah we find a professional holy man, a lifer in the faith who is about to have the God he thinks he understands challenge him with an assignment that he can hardly get his brain around. In The Epic of Eden: Jonah, Dr. Sandra Richter takes us on a journey through Jonah’s life that leads us all to the place where we realize that our God is way bigger than we thought. Not only will we learn everything we ever wanted to know about the brutal Assyrians of Nineveh, ancient seafaring ships, and large aquatic creatures, but we will also be challenged with the same message that confronted Jonah. Are we willing to let God be God, to move us out of our comfort zones, and embrace a calling that might just take us to the edges of the world we know?
Preview the introduction and second week of content here.
Sample Video Lesson (Introduction/Week One)
About the Author
SANDRA L. RICHTER (PhD, Harvard University) is the Robert H. Gundry Chair of Biblical Studies at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California. She is a graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Harvard University’s Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations Department. Richter is the author of a number of technical publications on the language, history, and society of the biblical world, but is best known in the church for her popular book The Epic of Eden: A Christian Entry into the Old Testament (InterVarsity Press) and her video Bible studies Epic of Eden with Seedbed.
- Length: Introduction + 7 weeks of teaching
- Page count: 174
- DVD accompaniment: Highly encouraged — 8, 20-30 minute sessions
You May Also Like
- The Epic of Eden by Sandra Richter
- The Epic of Eden: Isaiah by Sandra Richter
- The Epic of Eden: Ruth by Sandra Richter
- OneBook: Invitation by Brian Russell